Sunday 20 October 2013

Galaxy Honeycomb Crisp



Product name: Galaxy Honeycomb Crisp
Purchase details:
£0.89 for a 40g bar (WH Smith)
Calories:
219
per bar

I was delighted when Galaxy revealed it was releasing two new varieties, what with it being my favourite chocolate and all, but it took me ages to find them! I finally managed to track down this Honeycomb Crisp bar (along with the Nut Crunch) a few weeks ago at a train station but, unfortunately, it had to do a bit of travelling so it did get a bit broken in my suitcase! Typically, I’ve seen both new flavours everywhere, since then.


This bar came in a recognisable Galaxy wrapper that contained sweeps of brown to symbolise the chocolatey delight that awaited inside. I loved how the brand name looked like it was written in molten chocolate too. This particular variety was represented by the colour yellow, to match the honeycomb, although I have found this confusing, in store, since it’s very similar to the Galaxy Caramel packaging.

The bar was described as ‘milk chocolate with crisp honeycomb pieces (8%)’ and contained a minimum of 25% cocoa solids. Unfortunately, the wrapper didn’t state where the chocolate had been produced, but the addresses that were given were for Mars in Poland, Britain and Ireland.


The chocolate was divided into six nicely curved, glossy chunks. Due to my own carelessness on my travels, the bar was covered in little crumbs, but this would obviously not normally be the case. I was surprised at just how much honeycomb was visible through the base of the bar, and it was clear from looking inside that there were a lot of these little amber pieces.


I was pleased that this product provided the lovely, creamy Galaxy smell that I love. This didn’t seem to be really strong but, I must confess, I did have a cold when I tried it so my sense of smell may have been slightly less sensitive!


On putting a piece in my mouth, I was hit with an instant Galaxy taste. As much as I adore this flavour, I do find it difficult to describe since it is unique, but I will say that it was creamy and sweet, but not in a sugary way. The chocolate was really silky and began to melt straight away so I decided not to interfere with the first chunk I tried. In doing so, I found that the honeycomb taste was not noticeable until near the end of the piece. The bits that were left behind were actually quite big and, unsurprisingly, made me think of cinder toffee. The honeycomb was, texturally, how I expected – crispy with a slight chewiness at the end of each bit which caused it to stick to the teeth slightly. These were obviously a little bit rough when left in the mouth after the chocolate had melted but, compared to other products I’ve tried, the size of the honeycomb was small enough that I didn’t find this to be painful.

On chewing a chunk of the chocolate, the great Galaxy flavour remained, whilst the honeycomb was more evident from the start and provided a slightly darker, almost treacle-like taste. Thankfully, the honeycomb was not overpowering, but it did add to the texture too. Combined, the texture was thick and the overall experience was beautifully chocolatey.

I’ve made no secret of the fact that I love Galaxy and this Honeycomb Crisp bar was basically a standard bar of the legendary chocolate with a bit of added interest. It was a nice change! 

Appearance: 7.5/10
Aroma:
7.5/10
Taste:
8/10
Texture:
7.5/10
Overall score:
7.63/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think - I love reading all your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...