Tuesday 18 March 2014

Mrs. Freshley's Snowballs: Creme filled cakes



Product name: Mrs. Freshley’s Snowballs: Creme filled cakes
Purchase details:
£1.99 for a 120g pack of two Snowballs (A Quarter of Sweets)
Calories:
210 per Snowball (420 per pack)
Country of origin:
USA

These Mrs. Freshley’s Snowballs were recommended to me a while ago via the A Quarter of Sweets Twitter page but, since I’m not a huge fan of marshmallow-heavy products, I passed. I’d failed to notice the ‘Creme filled cakes’ part of the product name so, when I was recently told by a staff member in-store that they contained chocolate cake, my arm was twisted!


Distributed by Flowers Foods Speciality Group, these very pink and very squidgy coconut-covered Snowballs came in the usual style of Mrs. Freshley’s packaging and looked rather pretty on the outside, although I wasn’t convinced that this colour went very well with the dark cake within! The marshmallow looked a bit meringue-like, in that its inner edge was slightly golden, and the creme filling was also clearly visible towards the bottom of each cake. The bases of the Snowballs were left uncovered by the marshmallow coating but I ended up being glad of this.


The marshmallow was incredibly bouncy to the touch to the extent that it almost felt alive – a part of me was genuinely afraid it was going to move of its own accord! It was stretchy to bite into and, in the mouth, its spongy texture dissolved almost instantly. It didn’t really taste of anything but I did enjoy the strong coconut flavour from the bitty coating. This coconut also provided a mellow scent that mixed in the with slight chocolate cake aroma emanating from the centre.


The chocolate cake contained less than 2% cocoa, which seemed a shame, but it actually tasted pretty similar to the Mrs. Freshley's Fudge Bake: Brownie (candy topped). It had quite a crumbly texture, but was also moist, and I really enjoyed the lovely sweet and thick creme filling within it.

The flavours of the four elements worked well together and I found that the coconut had a surprising kick to it – almost tasting salty in comparison to the sweet centre.

Unfortunately, though, the texture of the marshmallow did spoil my enjoyment of the product as it almost felt as if I was foaming at the mouth. I definitely prefer standard marshmallows to the marshmallow part of this product but, as a whole, the overall Snowballs were a lot more enjoyable than I expected them to be when I first heard about them. They definitely would have scored more highly if they’d just been coconut-covered creme-filled chocolate cakes!

Appearance: 7/10
Aroma:
7/10
Taste:
7/10
Texture:
6/10
Overall score:
6.75/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think - I love reading all your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...