Wednesday 19 February 2014

Shaken Udder Chocolate!



Product name: Shaken Udder Chocolate!
Purchase details:
£0.39 for a 200ml carton or three for £1.00 (Home Bargains)
Calories:
140 per carton
Country of origin:
England
 

Having reviewed Shaken Udder Vanillalicious! when I first started my blog, I was pleased to see this great offer on the brand’s newer kids’ cartons. I bought one of each flavour and tonight’s review is of the Chocolate! variety. 

  
This fun, slightly more angular than usual,  brown carton was very much focussed on being natural and having health benefits. It contained no artificial flavours, colours or preservatives and, containing vitamin B12 and calcium, provided ‘natural immunity support’. The ‘high temperature pasteurised milkshake’ claimed to be a ‘delicious blend of natural fresh milk and real chocolate’ and ‘full of great tasting natural milk goodness’. Furthermore, it met government guidelines for use in schools. 

As instructed, I enjoyed this drink chilled and shaken (the latter caused the extreme frothiness at the top of my glass!). You may be wondering how a child could enjoy this chilled having taken it to school in their lunchbox. The answer? Freeze it overnight – sorted! 


The drink was the shade of brown I’d expect for a chocolate milk drink but I was pleasantly surprised that it smelt more like a sweet milk chocolate itself rather than a chocolate flavoured milkshake. However, this aroma wasn’t overly strong. 

Since 95% of the milkshake consisted of semi-skimmed milk, with only 1% being milk chocolate powder (plus some cocoa powder for added measure), the chocolate taste was quite subtle.  However, the cocoa flavour was definitely present and it did taste more interesting than standard milk. For me, the best thing was that it wasn’t at all sickly! 

In terms of texture, this drink was only a little thicker than ordinary milk, so it felt more like a flavoured milk than an actual milkshake. That’s not to say it wasn’t pleasant, but I do prefer a thicker liquid for milkshakes. However, this probably would have been more difficult to be consumed through a straw. (Incidentally, I intended to try this milkshake in that way too but I completely forgot until I finished it and then spotted the straw on the side – oops!) 

I’m not going to pretend this milkshake was mindblowing but I do love the concept of a relatively healthy but fun drink aimed at children. I know I would have loved to have found this Shaken Udder Chocolate! in my lunchbox when I was a kid! 

Appearance: 7.5/10
Aroma:
7/10
Taste:
7/10
Texture:
7.5/10
Overall score:
7.25/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think - I love reading all your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...