Tuesday 11 February 2014

Krispy Kreme Original Glazed



Product name: Krispy Kreme Original Glazed
Purchase details:
£1.35 for a 52g doughnut (Krispy Kreme Doughnuts)
Calories:
222 per doughnut
Country of origin:
UK
 

Since my birthday is fast approaching, Krispy Kreme decided to be ultra-kind and send me a voucher for a free doughnut. As a huge fan of the brand, it shocks me that I haven’t actually eaten once since I started my blog, so I thought I’d go back to basics for my first review with their ‘signature doughnut’ – the Original Glazed.

Although I’ve had pretty much every variety going, I think this may have been the first time I’ve had this simple ring doughnut. However, I pretty much knew what awesomeness to expect, since both the dough and the glaze are used throughout the majority of the Krispy Kreme range. Understandably, this simplified doughnut also contained the fewest calories of the range, according to the website’s nutritional information document.


Their website also provides brief summaries of the product range, with the Original Glazed being described as ‘a light and fluffy dough’ coated in their ‘classic glaze’ and, I think it’s fair to say, it’s this glaze that makes Krispy Kremes so unique compared to other doughnuts. Instead of a granulated sugar or powdered icing sugar coating, they are covered in a thin, slightly sticky kind of molten sugar that, having set, provides a lovely crispiness.


Appearance-wise, this doughnut was like a more attractive bagel, with a smooth, golden outer appearance with its thin sugary glaze clearly visible. I loved how this had been allowed to drip down the sides and accumulate in a crustier layer on the base of the product too. Inside, the bread looked pale and doughy, and the whole product gave off a gorgeous pastry scent combined with sweet icing. 


The Original Glazed had a fantastic doughnut taste and the flaky sugar was so, so sweet – beautiful. The squidgy texture was also amazing – it was so doughy that, if you applied pressure to the inside, it didn’t automatically spring back. Furthermore, it was so moist it was almost juicy. Not to be melodramatic or anything, but there’s nothing worse than a dry doughnut! 


So, just in case you’re in any doubt by this point, I absolutely loved this doughnut and, considering the fact there was no filling or fancy topping, I think that’s quite an achievement. Krispy Kreme – I love you! 

Appearance: 7.5/10
Aroma: 8/10
Taste:
9/10
Texture:
9/10
Overall score:
8.38/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think - I love reading all your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...