Thursday 1 May 2014

Cap'n Crunch Treats: Peanut butter



Product name: Cap’n Crunch Treats: Peanut butter
Purchase details:
£0.99 for a 24g bar (A Quarter of Sweets)
Calories:
110 per bar
Country of origin:
USA

I’m obviously getting forgetful in my old age. I prepared this review over a month ago and was convinced I’d posted it but, it turns out, I hadn’t! Unfortunately, I somehow managed to delete the accompanying photos too, so this will be my first (and hopefully last!) plain blog. Apologies to anyone reading this as I know, as a review reader, I much prefer them to come with photographs.

Anyway, I’d never had Quaker Cap’n Crunch’s Peanut Butter Crunch cereal before, although I had wanted to for the simple reason that it contains peanut butter. For me, then, this cereal bar was the next best thing.

Distributed by The Quaker Oats Company, the Cap’n Crunch Treats: Peanut butter came in an orange wrapper that featured a cartoon of Cap’n Crunch breaking apart one of the bars. There was no description of the product but, based on its appearance, cereal sat on a base of chocolate and also contained a chocolatey drizzle on top. Having read the ingredients, I saw that 2% of the bar was cocoa powder. I was slightly unnerved by some of the cereal pieces as they were quite orange so looked more like cheese puffs than a sweet treat! However, I was excited to see thin ripples of peanut butter inside.

Despite being small in size and containing very few calories, the bar felt pleasingly substantial. At close range, there was a chocolatey peanut butter scent but, from a distance, this was undetectable.

Sugar was the main ingredient in the Treats bar but I noticed that it contained actual peanuts, in addition to the peanut butter. Flavour-wise, it was quite sweet but with a bit of saltiness from the peanut butter which was particularly noticeable in the aftertaste. However, I did find this little too mild for my liking, and the chocolate only really came through in the aftertaste too.

Whilst the taste wasn’t incredible (although very nice), I was more impressed by the texture of this product. It provided a soft crisp and, whilst I couldn’t feel the peanut butter’s texture, it had a great feel for a cereal bar as it was neither too dry or chewy.

Now to get hold of the actual cereal and find out how milk affects the experience! 

Appearance: 7/10
Aroma:
7/10
Taste:
7/10
Texture:
8/10
Overall score:
7.25/10

2 comments:

  1. Can you remember if these are vegetarian? They sound brilliant! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eek - sorry, I can't! I've had a look at their website and it doesn't specify on there either :(

      Delete

Let me know what you think - I love reading all your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...