Wednesday 21 May 2014

Krispy Kreme Chocolate Cookie Crunch



Product name: Krispy Kreme Chocolate Cookie Crunch
Purchase details:
£1.50 for a 73g doughnut (Krispy Kreme Doughnuts)
Calories:
292 per doughnut
Country of origin:
UK

I think the Krispy Kreme loyalty scheme is my new favourite! I received yet another free doughnut as a reward for filling in a short online survey so I decided to try again in getting the Chocolate Cookie Crunch.

This doughnut wasn’t earth-shatteringly innovative in that Krispy Kreme's website stated that it was a twist on the ‘popular’ Cookie Crunch. However, I’d had the older version a few years ago and enjoyed it, so I still wanted to see what difference its ‘chocolate dough makeover’ made. As part of the Choco Mania range, the ring doughnut also featured a ‘chocolate icing and cookie crunch’.


The Chocolate Cookie Crunch was the same in appearance as the Chocolate Iced – it simply had a darker dough and additional topping. I thought it looked great and the sprinkling of icing sugar was a nice touch too. On the downside, I found its delicious Krispy Kreme scent was a bit weaker than normal.


I had a little try of the cookie topping first. This was formed from large, black crumbs that looked like Oreos in style. Whilst crumbly, the cookie’s texture wasn’t crunchy, and I didn’t find it tasted of much either. Instead, the main chocolate flavour came from the icing which, the nutritional information showed, was identical to the Chocolate Iced's.


As a result, the taste of this doughnut was pretty much a repeat experience of the Chocolate Iced, although, all combined, it did seem to have a very slightly stronger chocolatey taste. However, as with the Peanut Butter Kreme, I found the dough tasted a little oily and not really like chocolate, so this additional flavour did seem to be coming from the cookie crumbs, despite their initial apparent blandness.

Where this doughnut differed most from the Chocolate Iced was in its texture. Whilst it didn’t interfere with the soft dough, the crumbly topping added an extra depth, and I loved the ever-present crispiness provided by the moist glaze too. Once more, I really enjoyed the juiciness this created.

All things considered, this doughnut provided a good mix of sweetness from the dough and glaze, and a pleasant chocolate flavour.

Appearance: 8.5/10
Aroma:
7.5/10
Taste:
9/10
Texture:
8.5/10
Overall score:
8.38/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think - I love reading all your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...