Monday 8 July 2013

Ritter Sport Erdbeer Vanille-Waffel



Product name: Ritter Sport Erdbeer Vanille-Waffel
Purchase details:
£1.55 for a 100g bar (monstersweets.co.uk)
Calories:
139 per four square portion (555 per bar)
Country of origin:
Germany

It’s only fairly recently that I’ve discovered Ritter Sport chocolate, and I’ve found it extremely difficult to locate different flavours in the UK. Imagine my delight, then, when I came across Monster Sweets (see here) and their large variety of this German chocolate.

The flavour I’m reviewing on this occasion is Erdbeer Vanille-Waffel which translates as ‘strawberry vanilla wafer’ and, boy, was it good!



The Ritter Sport website describes the filling of this bar as being strawberry yoghurt and vanilla cream wafers. I’d never had a yoghurt-filled chocolate before but I will certainly be having one again.


The scent of strawberry was immediately noticeable when I opened the wrapper, although my bar had suffered some breakage (hence the odd shape in the cross-section images!), so this may have been why. The smell reminded me of a milkier version of strawberry fondant chocolates that are available in many selection boxes. The product also looked fantastic. The chocolate was glossy and the pale colours of the yoghurt and wafer looked appetising and Summery.


Each square of this bar was nice and thick, although the chocolate layer itself looked thin in comparison. However, taste-wise, it was very much present and provided a rich, milky experience that melted on the tongue. I found that when allowing a square to melt in my mouth, the three layers melded together beautifully. The tanginess of the creamy strawberry yoghurt was offset by the sweetness of the milk chocolate and, together, they dissolved into nothing, along with the wafer. The whole combination was like ice cream in a chocolate!
 

I would say that the presence of the wafer was mainly for texture rather than flavour. It certainly provided a satisfying crispiness when breaking the bar apart and also when choosing to chew the squares rather than allowing them to melt on the tongue. 

This bar of chocolate was absolutely delicious and, although very rich, I had no trouble devouring it all in one go. What a great combination of flavours and textures – bravo, Ritter Sport! 

Appearance: 8/10
Aroma:
8/10
Taste:
8/10
Texture:
9/10
Overall score:
8.25/10

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving the sound of this bar! Monster Sweets are great for Ritter Sport stuff aren't they...have you tried the Crema Catalana and Coconut bars? They're my favourites from their Ritter range.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely recommend it - shame it's only a limited edition!

    And yeah, Monster Sweets are great. My plan is to try all of their Ritter Sport stock eventually!

    No, not yet. I do have the White Coconut bar waiting to be eaten/reviewed though.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think - I love reading all your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...