Wednesday 25 December 2013

Hershey's Candy Cane


Product name: Hershey’s Candy Cane
Purchase details:
£1.50 for a 43g bar (A Quarter of Sweets)
Calories:
220 per bar
Country of origin:
USA
 

In honour of Christmas, I thought I’d post my review of Hershey’s Candy Cane today. Firstly, though, I’d like to thank the kind staff at A Quarter of Sweets who provided me with a discount on my last visit.

Described as ‘mint candy with candy bits’, I wasn’t quite sure what to expect from this bar – I hoped for white chocolate or something similar, but this phrase wasn’t used anywhere on the wrapper! However, it did contain cocoa butter which I took to be a good thing.


This Christmas product certainly looked festive since it was presented in fresh white packaging with red stripy tips to reflect the candy cane flavour. In addition to this, there were images of candy canes and the product itself. The inner bar was even more attractive, though, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything quite like it before! The main substance certainly looked like white chocolate but it was crammed-full of (artificially coloured) red candy pieces.


I was slightly apprehensive about trying this product since I love white chocolate and mint-flavoured chocolate, but I’m not a massive fan of candy canes and other mint sweets. As a result, I thought this bar may be more miss than hit with me. The aroma didn’t do much to alleviate my fears either since, whilst it had a strong mint smell, it wasn’t very sweet, and it did smell just like candy cane rather than something a bit different.


With my first bite, the bar was creamy but there was no mistaking mint as the main flavour (even though it only contained 2% peppermint oil!). It did initially taste more like a sweet than a chocolate but I quickly became accustomed to the flavours and found it began to taste nicer and creamier. Better still, I really enjoyed it, and it did taste like white chocolate with an added mint flavour!


I wasn’t sure if the tiny red balls were actual bits of candy cane (I suspect not) or just random candy pieces, but they were very crispy which provided a nice texture. In fact, even when these were left behind after allowing pieces of the bar to melt, it was still a pleasant experience.


There’s no denying it – this bar of Hershey’s Candy Cane was far nicer than I thought it would be and I’m hoping I don’t have to wait until next Christmas to have another! 

Appearance: 8/10
Aroma:
7.5/10
Taste:
7.5/10
Texture:
8/10
Overall score:
7.75/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think - I love reading all your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...