Tuesday 14 January 2014

Nabisco Oreo: Peanut butter creme



Product name: Nabisco Oreo: Peanut butter creme
Purchase details:
£4.00 for a 432g pack (Bold Street Sweets)
Calories:
70 per biscuit
Country of origin:
Canada
 

One of these days, I’ll review a Nabisco product that doesn’t contain peanut butter...but you’ll just have to wait a bit longer!

Despite not having reviewed them yet, I’m a massive Oreo fan, and I’ve wanted to try the Peanut butter creme version for a long time but have always been put off by the high import prices. Thankfully, though, I was able to buy these for half the normal cost of £7.99 when Bold Street Sweets had a half price day for their Facebook fans.


These ‘chocolate sandwich cookies’ came in a large, blue resealable pack containing a giant picture of an Oreo (with fake-looking creme!), and a brown and white colour scheme to represent peanut butter and milk (the drink these biscuits are famous for being dunked in). Since I knew it would take me a long time to get through all the biscuits in this pack, I didn’t dare risk relying on the sealing mechanism alone, so I can’t comment on whether or not it does the job. 

The pack also had a recipe on the back for a Peanut Butter Creme Oreo Milkshake – this looked like a nice idea but I have to confess that I haven’t given it a go (partly due to it using American measurements).  

The biscuits were made by Kraft Foods and contained sugar as their main ingredient. A serving was classed as two cookies and, with around 14 servings per pack, I worked out that it should contain 28 biscuits in total (although I didn’t open it right up to double-check!). 


Hopefully your life is fulfilled in that you know what a standard Oreo looks like. These cookies had the same dark, patterned appearance, but the creme was a pale orangey-yellow as opposed to white. As a result, the creme didn’t look as fresh, but it was still nice and thick. 


The peanut butter scent was instantly noticeable on opening the packet but this wasn’t quite as good in quality as an actual jar of peanut butter. However, the creme was actually quite like peanut butter in texture – it even had a slight crunchiness when eaten on its own but I think this was down to stray crumbs! 


The biscuits were really crunchy and chocolatey and provided the usual, rich Oreo taste, along with a slight nuttiness from being in contact with the creme. The latter was more sugary than actual peanut butter and it had a slightly bitter edge to it but it was still very pleasant. The two components went very nicely together, which is what I’d expect from chocolate and peanut butter, and the creme provided a great moisture which prevented the cookies feeling too dry.


To sum up: these were fantastic! 

Appearance: 8/10
Aroma:
7/10
Taste
: 8/10
Texture:
8.5/10
Overall score:
7.88/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think - I love reading all your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...